Thursday, November 6, 2008

Free trips to the bathroom with one regularly priced ticket!

Okay, so it's been a while (again) since I wrote, so I am writing out of neglect rather than having something to say, but I never wind up with a lack of things! It's amazing how I can turn nothing into 2 pages! Hey, I had to make it through college somehow! ;) But, things are great! My parents came up for 4 days in October (they hadn't seen my pregnant belly yet, so they were motivated to make the 8.5 hour drive, with the last hour being a treacherously snowy road over a mountain pass) and we had a blast together! I will have to post some of the pics for all to see...we hiked to Upper Emerald Falls at the start of my 7th month of pregnancy, and while it wasn't the 10 mile hike we did in Alaska in my 5th month, it was still quite rigorous for a lady with a big looming belly (it got pretty steep at the top and my balance isn't so good now that my body is out of proportion!) I was able to show my parents Angels Landing, and they had a whole new appreciation for the pictures of Corban standing on top of a tower of rocks on top of Angels Landing posed like a flamingo...I had to wonder if he had any brains in his head at that moment! The other thing we did was go to Les Mis at Tuacahn. It was my second time seeing it, but my parents hadn't ever and who could ever see Les Mis too many times anyway? It is so amazing! The amount of depth and symbolism in that play really enthrall me...but I think people seeing the play who haven't read the book wouldn't necessarily grasp just how much symbolism there really is in Hugo's writing! Although they aren't paying me, I must use this opportunity to advertise for Tuacahn, our outdoor amphitheater in St. George (well, Ivans, technically!) Their shows are always AMAZING, so if you ever get the chance to go through St George in the summer or fall, I would really recommend you stop! Corb and I would even be happy to come down and join you!

Speaking of plays, I won tickets to a Shakespeare show here in Cedar City, the home of the Shakespearean Festival (people from all over the nation come here to see our Shakespeare plays) and the problem was, people kept asking me, "Oh, have you seen one of the plays?" And I understand the concept of taking advantage of having something so renowned so close and being able to say you've experienced it...my problem is I've never been a fan of Shakespeare. Don't get me wrong, I like his story lines, but his language to me is like trying to read a book in Chinese when I don't speak a lick of it. I don't get the accent or the phraseology, nor do I appreciate the costumes. So, when asked if I had seen a show, I always said, "Not my thing," and the part I didn't add was, "And for $40 a ticket, there's not a chance you'd catch me at one of those shows!" So when they were giving away tickets on Tradio one morning (a radio version of a garage sale, so to speak) I called in with the answer to the trivia question and won tickets! WOW! Finally, my chance to experience the thing Cedar is most renowned for! And for free! A safer bet on something you almost know you'll be mad at having spent the money on before you even go! So, Corb and I went. It wasn't the show that bothered me so much as the fact that, minutes before it was starting, I had to relieve my pregnant bladder. I understand the bit about not walking in late to plays and it being disrespectful and/or disruptful or whatever word you want to use to describe it, but if you've been pregnant, you know how it gets after your 7th month when you can pee before you leave the house, but the bounce of walking quickly into the show makes you have to pee again 10 minutes later! So I go to use the restroom and get ready to walk in RIGHT AS the show was starting. Two ushers had an absolute conniption fit and would not let me go in to the show. They were so not kind about it! I seriously felt they were totally NOT understanding about pregnancy and I even half contemplated talking to their boss about their discrimination towards full-bladdered pregnant women. While the two YAY-HOOS sat there and talked about what to do with me, I wound up missing the first SEVEN minutes of the show. Free or not, it was my RIGHT to see those first SEVEN minutes, which were critical to the play, but instead I got to hang out in the lobby with my two favorite ushers of all time. Then, even though my seat was only 6 rows from the back, and I was in the aisle seat, they insisted that I sit in the very back row by myself. So I sat there more frustrated than anything, unable to completely enjoy the show because I really felt like telling someone off, in addition to wishing I were sitting with Corban holding his hand and wishing I hadn't missed the first part of the show. The first time they dimmed the lights (half an hour later!) I got up and ran over to my seat and was finally content. I learned two things that day...First, as we were walking out, Corban said that he much prefers Tuacahn to the Shakespearean Festival, and we both agreed that we aren't missing much if we never see another Shakespeare play, and Second, I won't ever go to a play again while I am pregnant in the event that I MIGHT have to pee because feeling like I am being treated like I've committed a crime of some sort isn't at the top of my list of favorite things to do. What can I say, you live and learn! So, if you get the chance, unless you have a deep appreciation for and love of Shakespeare, I would highly recommend a Tuacahn show...the outdoor setting is BEAUTIFUL and they understand if you have to use the little girls' room, AND you get a much better show on top of all that! Three amazing bonuses for one low cost (ha ha! Only a pregnant woman would appreciate the perk of Free trips to the bathroom included in the cost of one regularly priced ticket!)

1 comment:

Erin said...

I'm impressed that you went all the way up to upper Emerald Falls. It's not easy!

And now I know: spend money on Tuacahn, and NOT the Shakespearean festival.