Wednesday, October 8, 2008

On the topic of pregnancy weight...

I went in for my every-other-week visit on Monday, and I was informed by the doctor that I have gained 38 pounds. His records are a little off since, before I knew I was pregnant, I lost close to 10 pounds...this little girl was apparently taking all nourishment I put into my body for her development! (Not that I mind one bit!) But, I started at 128 and I am now at 160, with 2 months to go. I am also measuring two centimeters bigger than I am supposed to be at this point...(my thoughts are that I am 2 weeks further along in my pregnancy than we initially thought, which would make me a little bigger than I'm SUPPOSED to be at this point!) While there are a lot of women I know who go to my doctor, every single one of them says the doctor has never brought up their weight...but for some reason, I am the chosen "weight girl" and it's been mentioned on numerous occasions! I am starting to be paranoid..."Is it really too much? Should I do something differently? Do other women not gain this much? What am I doing that I shouldn't be!?" I admit, I didn't like food for the first 4 months and I HATED anything sugary, and my appetite has certainly picked up since then (and for about a month I have really craved sugary foods, but I promise I don't sit around and eat them all the time! I've had a few binges, but they haven't lasted forever) but I don't eat excessively! So, I just find myself wondering...how much do women gain!? Is this really a lot? I don't have toxemia and nowhere on my body is swelling except my stomach, so is 32 pounds at 7 months okay? All you who've been pregnant...am I so out of the ordinary? Or was your similar!? So...to top it all off...we went to the grocery store last night and I REALLY wanted a cake donut...my husband tells me that if I want to get something to eat, I could get a corn dog (that's a TON healthier than a donut, eh!?) or a cheese stick or something like that. (Don't get me wrong, he'd let me get a donut if I really wanted to, but he's probably right...there are healthier things to eat) but the point is, the doctor even has my husband worried about my weight! Argh! So I call my mom when we leave the store and tell her Corban won't let me get a donut. She said she couldn't blame him...so now they're in cahoots. But, the funniest part of it is, we went back into the store later to get some baby wipes that were on sale, and the lady behind the counter offered me a piece of German Chocolate cake. I told her I couldn't because I gained too much weight in my pregnancy already. She insisted that I look great for 7 months and said she sees women who look like they've totally exploded and that I don't have anything to worry about. So, I go about my shopping and decide that I really would like a piece of cake. So while Corban is paying, I went and took her up on her offer. Corban couldn't believe I had somehow gotten myself a piece of cake and told me I was grounded! The lady in the store just laughed when I told her about it on the way out! So, I got to have my cake and eat it too! LOL. And I am pretty sure that cake had a lot more calories than that cake donut! ;)

10 comments:

Erin said...

I gained 45 lbs total with Ethan, and 50 with Aidan, and I lost it all within three months. I think you should just make sure you are getting healthy stuff in your body too (good for the baby) and don't worry about the treats! There are other things that are more important for a pregnant lady to worry about!

meghannamarie said...

I gained 50 with Michelle, 50+ with Eli, 55+ with Parker and well I (for some unexplained reason) gained 32 with Emie! The point is every woman is different so 55 for me was fine I lost most of it, 32+ for you will be fine for you because you were and are a healthy person and erin is right don't worry about the weight worry about what to eat next because the baby needs it:) Just Kidding but seriously your wieght is not going to be a problem!

Harmoni Osborn said...

I got your card today!!! THANK YOU!!! You are WAY too sweet!! :P)

Josh did the same thing to me and although it was annoying I was truly grateful when I only gained 40lbs w/ the boys. I never ate after 10 pm and so went to bed pretty hungry most times, but they obviously never starved! :p)

Rebecca S said...

That cracks me up that he wants you to eat a corndog!

Smamy said...

Too cute! Not to worry - with both my pregnancies I ended up about 10 pounds lighter leaving the hospital then when I got pregnant (I found them later...) You're doing fine! Like the others said, as long as most of the time you're eating healthy, pregnancy should be the one time in a gal's life that she shouldn't have to worry about what she's eating all the time! At least for me, it was after the pregnancy that got me - nursing makes you hungry! And you have all that time that you're sitting with one free hand - I wasn't coordinated enough to hold a book with that hand, but a cookie fit just right! LOL!

Mela said...

Hey Noelle! How are you! Congrats on the pregnancy! Don't worry about the weight gain. You are just fine and when you have the baby you will lose it all! Did you say you are having a girl? Girls are so much fun! Of course so are boys, but with the girls you get to dress them up all girlie.

Megan said...

You are doing fine. I think your body knows what it needs for your baby. As long as you're eating well and still getting exercise you should be fine.
I gained 50 on my first (sigh..) but then didn't completly loose it. Then I gained a little less the next time.. then didn't completly loose it.. (sigh again..)
This happened every time. I gained very little this last time, but I still ended up the same weight at the end then I had the first pregnancy. I did nothing different, maybe my body just knew where it needed to be.
And don't mind the doctor. It's just his job. They scold you for not gaining weight too.

Brittany, Kris, Kaylee, and Maizy said...

You're so cute! Don't worry about gaining weight. It's the one time in your life when you can gain weight and you look cute and it's justified. I lost all of my weight once I had Kaylee and 30 pounds more. I still have work to do but that's okay. As long as the baby is healthy, it doesn't matter what you gain, in my opinion.

I miss you tons and I'm so excited that you're going to be a mom. You'll love it. Please, if you are ever on your way to Globe, let me know... no matter what time it is. I would love to see you. One of these days, I would like to take a trip up to Utah and see you.

Anyways, hang in there. It all works out like its supposed to... hey, maybe there are two babies in there and not just one! Just kidding. Just be healthy and your little girl will be fine. Love ya!

Cori said...

I gained the most weight with my first pregnancy. I think you don't run around chasing after little ones when you are pregnant the first time. The difference in weight gain between my first and fourth was 25 lbs! Don't worry, it comes off easily after your first:)

Becca said...

Hi Noƫlle,
I am so excited for you as you get closer to your due date. You are going to be the BEST mom ever! Congratulations,
Becca