Tuesday, August 12, 2008

Pregnancy ills

For the last two days, I've been sick. With what? Who knows...the flu? food poisoning? Whichever it is, it's got two very undesirable symptoms which prevent you from keeping food in your stomach. What it is I'm sick with exactly, I'll probably never know. The one thing I do know quite clearly is that being pregnant changes the way I look at everything! I worry that salmonella or bacteria or whatever it is might possibly cross through the placenta and affect the baby...but it's not really a big deal how I feel so long as Baby's okay! We're staying at a hotel and I'd sure LOVE to sit in that hottub...but, not a chance if it could possibly hurt Baby! There are times when I could really use a Tylenol, and yes, they say it's okay to take when you are pregnant, but what if you need one frequently for reccuring sinus headaches? I find myself wondering if Baby could be adversely affected by the regular taking of any medicine, thus I refrain from everything but tums. When I walk through a crowded place, I find my eyes watching every person I pass, my hands ready to jump up and protect my stomach if one of them gets too close. Amazing how the world becomes all about baby and a lot less about Mom when you are pregnant, isn't it? It must be one of those built in in instincts Heavenly Father blesses us with...and the thing that causes Moms to love their babies so much from the very start!

6 comments:

meghannamarie said...

Yea I am glad that you got pics up your blog is really starting to come along! Not that I am trying to be the all knowing lady about pregnancy but I just have to tell you that the placenta is harder for things to get htrough than you would think. When I was pregnant with my 4th I took a antacid (not just tums) every night the whole pregnancy! And a tylenol to relax you is better than being to worried and making things worse. Another funny story is when I was pregnat with one of the kiddos I burnt my belly making dinner one night, I just remembered that. Anyway H.F. is always looking out for you so don't stress to much that could be worse than a little bump or pill! Sorry if this comment is annoying you! Just relax, it sounds like you are enjoying being pregnant so keep that up I hated pretty much every moment of probably every pregnancy!

corbanandnoelle said...

Ha ha, Meghan! No need to worry! No annoyance involved! I don't get all fired up THAT easily! I offer suggestions to people whether they want them or not...I always like to think it's the therapist in me, but considering the fact that you do it too makes me think maybe it's the mom in me! When I was first pregnant, the pharmacist said that even things that they say are safe for the baby may have some effects we don't know about, so I just always remembered that! No need to worry...if I had a really bad headache, I'd take a Tylenol for sure, but the wonderful thing is that aside from the first 2.5 months, pregnancy and I agree with each other! I actually feel better than I do when I'm not pregnant...my allergies aren't as bad and I don't have nearly the same digestive issues I did before (thank Heavens I agree with pregnancy because my first 2.5 months I was thinking I may never have more than one baby!) And I relieved the biggest stress in my life...my job! So no Tylenol needed to relieve the stress factor...just a resignation letter! ;) I can't believe you burned your belly...that's a difficult place to reach to burn! But then again, I bump things I'd have never bumped before because I am not used to having this bump growing on me! But thanks for your comment. It made me smile! I feel bad for you hating every moment of pregnancy...were you really sick or what?

Christine said...

Sorry you're sick!
I just *hated* being sick when I was pregnant! It was so hard not being able to take drugs! I got really bad headaches all the time that I knew would have gone away with ibuprofen, but tylenol didn't do anything. So miserable.
I got a stomach flu with every pregnancy too-- last time I got it on Christmas Eve! It seemed like I was extra-susceptible to them when I was preg.

The protective instinct is pretty crazy isn't it? I thought it was so amazing when my first was born to realize that everything everybody said about being a parent was true!

meghannamarie said...

I never got sick Noelle I just always gained 50+ pounds and swelled up to twice my size and just miserable but I don't have to worry about that anymore I am DONE!!

corbanandnoelle said...

Oh Meg! I am sorry it was so miserable! I can't imagine you gaining 50 pounds! You are always so skinny and look so good! You must've had really healthy babies! ;)

Lamar Echols said...

Wow!! Sounds like an adventure. It's not a vacation without all the hassles though. I've always wanted to go to Alaska since it is supposed to be Norways sister. I hear it is beautiful. I'm very envious. I'm glad you have a blog. It will be fun to see what you're up to.